This pattern lived up to its reputation. The toile was hideous. Yes it fitted, but it still looked horrible. See for yourself (the photos are a bit dark though):
You’d think the pattern was developed to make us change it. This is one toile that is definitely not wearable, and will definitely need a lot of restyling. Naturally the first thing I did was take them in by an inch at each hem, and 3/4″ at the knees. So that’s a total circumferential reduction of about 10cm at each hem and 8cm at each knee.I only did one leg to begin with:
It’s better, but still a bit baggy looking. Another centimetre and with a total hem reduction of 14cm, and a knee take-in of 12cm, I think I’ve just about got the “slim-fitting slacks” silhouette of the 1960s:
Now, I can tell you that these are not comfort trousers, at least not when made in calico with a non-stretch cotton tape waistband. They would definitely have to be made in stretch fabric (that has been repeatedly pre-shrunk) to be wearable. I’m wearing the toile now and the waist band will leave a line across my stomach. But that’s probably that; if you want comfortable trousers in non-stretch fabric, they have to be loose-fitting. Guess why I like skirts. UPDATE: I have since tried the jeans block and it gets very nearly the same fit as these visually, but is much more comfortable for sitting down in, even in calico.
I will try the “close-fitting trouser block” next. I am doing these for my Pattern Cutting file (I have three now) but it’s extra work to get me into those 90%s. : )
P.S. Sorry for the blurry, funny-coloured photos, I was using an old (circa 2008-10) camera at the time. I have since replaced it and my new photos are much better. : )